Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Little, But Not Entirely...

If you read my father's column/blog today, you'll know that I am a bit of a nut job. Literally, but hey I can't have real pets so I consider the habitual squirrely visitors to my house pseudo pets.

You might be wondering what that has to do with the arts, and really it has absolutely nothing to do with it, but I felt the need to defend myself because I was as surprised by the subject of his column today as probably most of the Bulletin's regular readers.

Any who, I just finished watching The King's Speech for the what might be the 20th time in the last two months? I can't help it, every time I find it playing on some channel, I watch it I just love it so much. But is it just a music nerd thing, or do normal people fall in love with movies because of the soundtrack and background music? This movie has the best music. Period. In fact, I love the music so much that for the New London Community Orchestra next concert, I suggested a song that plays during the final scene.
Beethoven's Symphony No. 7, Mvt. II


Tell me that is not a beautiful piece. Now our concert is not until June, but we are having an open rehearsal on May 15th at the  Groton Senior Center which is at 102 Newtown Road (map).

What's that? Beethoven's not really thrilling you? Well how about Tchaikovsky? Huh? Huh? Yeah, that's right, were also playing Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings in C Major.

If you're still not feelin' it, well then you're very difficult to please but I have one more trick up my sleeve. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?

If you said piano, you would be close but not quite. It's actually a Harpsichord and we have a guest musician joining us to play a Harpsichord Concerto.  The below clip is not the song we're playing but I wanted a short video that demonstrated what a harpsichord sounded like, which is kind of a piano meets a duck.

Although it's a few months away, I hope you will come to our rehearsal or concert or both and support local arts.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd like this more if I didn't keep remembering the scolding I got in the kitchen yesterday afternoon for mentioning you in the column. Or perhaps that was our "other" daughter Michelle? I also really liked the music you picked out for this installment of your conversation-unless you yell at me for that, too.

    ReplyDelete